WAIT whaaaaaat? THE PERFECT carrot cake????
I’m guessing some of you would be like, mehh…. everyone says they have the best carrot cake, what makes yours different? I know I know, there are so many recipes for carrot cake out there and honestly, it’s such an easy and simple cake to make, they probably won’t fail you much…
But what if, just *what if* it’s more than just a carrot cake you want? What if you want the best carrot cake ever, one that is moist, perfectly spiced and delicately balanced in both texture and taste? Please believe me on this one, BEST CARROT CAKE! In fact, it’s in-times-of-alien-invasion-give-them-this-cake-and-bring-peace-to-the-world kind of good. God I’m craving one now. D:
Strawberry and chocolate. Peaches and cream. Carrot cake and cream cheese. You know how this works 😉
But instead of using just plain cream cheese, I’m boosting the flavour up by giving it a citrus kick 😀 You’ll see why I made this twist later ❤
The Perfect Carrot Cake
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 110 g almond (Roasted, coarsely chopped)
- 40 g candied orange peel (or other dried fruit of your choice, apricot works well too!)
- ~ 350 g shredded carrot
- 250 g plain flour
- 5 g baking soda
- 10 g baking powder
- 10 g cinnamon powder
- 5 g salt
For the frosting:
- 250 g cream cheese
- Zest of 1 orange
- Orange juice
- 70 g icing sugar
For the cake:
- Sieve together dry ingredients (Plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon powder and salt)
- In a bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs.
- Whisk in vegetable oil.
- Add the sieved dry ingredients into the bowl and mix.
- Add carrot, almond and candied orange peel, mix well.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Pour the batter into a 6″ cake tin which has been greased.
- Bake for 30 minutes then cover with foil and continue baking for another 10 minutes or so until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from cake tin and leave to cool on cooling rack.
(Alternative: Bake for 25 minutes as cupcakes. Pipe the frosting on once they’re cool 😀 )
For the frosting:
- Cream the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add icing sugar and zest, mix well.
- The cream cheese would be too stiff for spreading/ piping now, add orange juice until the frosting is soft enough. About 1-2 tablespoon is usually enough 🙂
Assembly/ decoration :
- Trim off the dome of the cake when the cake is cool.
- Half the cake horizontally using a serrated knife, try to keep the cut even and clean.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese frosting onto one slice and place the other half back on top.
- Cover the cake with a thin layer of frosting, it’s okay if it doesn’t look perfect. This only acts as a crumb coat for a smoother finish later 🙂
- Pop the cake into the fridge for 15 minutes or until the frosting is stiff to touch.
- Spread more frosting evenly onto the cake using an offset spatula.
- Decorate with more orange zest.
Serves 18 cupcakes or one 6″ cake.
And…… YOU’RE DONE! : DD
This is my parents’ favourite cake. Can never go wrong with that! 😛
Give this a go and you will understand why I’m saying this is the best carrot cake recipe ever. Hands down. ❤